The Barrett Branch Library was built in 1937 and named in honor of
Kate Waller Barrett,
a humanitarian, social equality crusader, and political reformer.
Barrett Branch serves the Old Town section of Alexandria.
Kate Waller Barrett Branch Library offers its patrons:
- Books, magazines, ebooks, audiobooks, CDs, and DVDs
- Internet and word processing computers
- Wi-Fi and wireless printing
- Access to over 75 electronic databases
- Free online courses for adult learning
- Interlibrary Loan Service
- Online renewal of materials
- Self-checkout machines
- Passport application services
- Weekly children`s programs, author talks, and other special programs.
For current and upcoming events, check the calendar for Barrett Branch Library at
The Special Collections Division of the Alexandria Library is located at the Barrett Branch Library
and houses many resources for historians, genealogists, and others interested in local and American history.
The Special Collections Division holds a variety of materials in multiple formats, including books, microfilm,
microfiche, journals, manuscript collections and photographs.